Jul 082019
 

Following on from my last post where I mentioned boredom and time on my hands (following a rather nasty fall down the stairs), I’m mobile enough now to “do” stuff around the home, so got back into painting things.

Today, I painted a little plain wooden box green and added some cute little feet, painted the doors and drawer fronts on a boring white linen cupboard (needs a 2nd coat tomorrow), painted a chest of drawers that forever irked me being horrid orange pine, then outside on the patio, I’ve given the table and bench a coat of chalk paint to spruce them up for *hopefully* some nice sunny days to sit outside.

Anyway, here’s the little box….nothing major, and I may tone down the drawers with a little antiquing wax, as the “Verdigris” wax that I used looks a little too bright for this project.

Upcycled wooden box
Upcycled wooden box
Upcycled wooden box
May 262016
 

wax finishes

A little “pantry cupboard” (Debenhams description, not mine) and a clock both received the same paint treatment.  A base of Americana Chalky Finish col Treasure and a top coat of Rustoleum Chalky Furniture paint col Mustard, but leaving the inside of the cupboard blue.  Both coats were applied with random brush strokes to give a textured finish.

The clock was distressed with 000 grade wire wool, a coat of clear wax was applied, followed by dark wax (both Briwax brand) and the cupboard with 600 grade wet and dry paper, then a coat of Annie Sloan’s White Wax.  The excess wax was wiped off both, left to harden for about 8 hours, then buffed to a soft sheen.

wax finishes wax finishes wax finishes wax finishes

wax finishes

This is why my little jars of jam were out on the worktop in my last post!

 

 

May 242016
 

Another old purchase updated – this time a little chest of drawers that I bought from Lakeland Ltd around 15-20 years ago.

Pretty little chest but I’d tired of the dark brown wood, so it’s my latest victim.  I apologise for forgetting (again) to take a before photo, but I did find an image online of something with a similar finish and with the same little matching brown knobs that this had.

brown

I gave this a base coat of Chateau Grey, and when that was dry, I applied a colourwash using a very watery coat of Paris Grey.  Once fully dried, I “wet distressed” it by rubbing areas with a wet cloth.   Finally, finished off with Annie Sloan’s White Wax and some pretty little handles that I found on Ebay (where else?!).

upcycled mini chest

upcycled mini chest

upcycled mini chest

upcycled mini chest

upcycled mini chest

May 132016
 

My regular readers know that I’m a seasoned 3D artist, though usually the content is scenery, landscapes and fantasy scenes.  It suddenly occurred to me that I could use these programmes to visualise future projects.

While I was out today, I found some lovely wallpapers that I can incorporate into my revamps.  One idea is to paint our TV cabinet.  We bought it from Ikea around 10 years ago, and although there’s nothing wrong with it, it’s just a plain wooden cupboard.  I thought the panels on the doors could be jazzed up with something interesting and I found just the thing – Wine Bottles wallpaper 🙂

So, first off, I had to make a replica of our cabinet, albeit rather a crude one.  For this, I used Hexagon 3D which I’ve had for years.  The finished model was then imported into Vue and I textured it from within that programme, first representing the way it looks at present, then how it would look painted duck egg, with a little distressing, and with those door panels.

I found another wallpaper that’s Wine Boxes which is near identical to some actual crates that are awaiting “the treatment”.  This paper would look good on the inside of the doors.

wine box wallpaper

So….here’s the result.  I think the cabinet will look pretty good when I get around to doing it 🙂

tv cabinet

As it looks now – plain and rather boring

tv cabinet

How it should look when I’ve worked my magic

 

tv cabinet

The inside

 

May 132016
 

I bought this a while back as I liked the look of it.  The only downside was that the wood was badly finished and rough as a bear’s bum and it had been stained dark green.  I like green, but in this instance, it wasn’t a good thing.

  • Sand all rough areas smooth, rounding off corners and edges
  • Paint all exterior surfaces grey/green mix
  • Paint interior surfaces duck egg blue
  • Sand back in areas to give varying degrees of distress – some parts showing the dark green stain and even down to the bare wood in places.
  • Finish with a coat of varnish

Materials used

  • Annie Sloan chalk paints in Paris Grey and Chateau Grey: 4 parts Paris to 1 part Chateau (this was the leftover paint from my Laura Ashley table project).
  • Polyvine clear flat “wax finish” varnish
  • Sandpaper
  • Brushes

I have no “before” photos, but here is a shot of one of the drawer compartments that didn’t need painting, but has been sanded and waxed, but left with the original dark green stain.

distressed painted box

Here’s various shots of the finished box

distressed painted box distressed painted box distressed painted box distressed painted box

distressed painted box