A few days ago I was looking for my pic of a dragon at Wenlock Priory (don’t ask 😀 ) and while looking for it through my old stuff, I found something that I did almost 20 years ago, not long after I started doing the “digital art” thing.
My take on Magnum’s Vigilante album cover. Done in Bryce (4 or maybe 5), and maybe a little touching up in Paint Shop Pro (probably V5 or 6!). Looking at it, I thought that maybe I could do a better job now that I’m older and possibly a bit wiser.
Using different software this time. I made the main model in Hexagon and textures in a mix of Filter Forge and Photoshop, then inported into Vue for final texturing. The unicorn is the same one that I used in the original, but I made the chain for his neck rather than adding it in postwork. Looking at it, I think I must have painted it on with a “tube” (something specific to PaintShopPro).
Background terrains are, of course, Vue and I fiddled with the textures to get similar to the original cover artwork. The distant galaxy done in Filter forge, although I actually prefer the original one of these but couldn’t find it, and the sky/atmosphere was custom created for this scene.
The final result that was rendered in Vue wasn’t the best, but after a looooooooooooooooooong render time, I wasn’t up for fiddling with stuff and re-rendering, so opted for the easier and probably better option, of fixing everything and finalising in Photoshop.
The end result is better than the first that I did, and certainly has a bit more depth to it, but all things considered, I didn’t do too bad first time around either.