I bought this a while back as I liked the look of it. The only downside was that the wood was badly finished and rough as a bear’s bum and it had been stained dark green. I like green, but in this instance, it wasn’t a good thing.
- Sand all rough areas smooth, rounding off corners and edges
- Paint all exterior surfaces grey/green mix
- Paint interior surfaces duck egg blue
- Sand back in areas to give varying degrees of distress – some parts showing the dark green stain and even down to the bare wood in places.
- Finish with a coat of varnish
- Annie Sloan chalk paints in Paris Grey and Chateau Grey: 4 parts Paris to 1 part Chateau (this was the leftover paint from my Laura Ashley table project).
- Polyvine clear flat “wax finish” varnish
I have no “before” photos, but here is a shot of one of the drawer compartments that didn’t need painting, but has been sanded and waxed, but left with the original dark green stain.
Here’s various shots of the finished box